Novi is a dynamic community that has been identified as the ideal location. Located in Southeastern Michigan, the population of Novi is approximately 52,000, consists of 31 sq. miles in prestigious Oakland County and is just twenty-five minutes from downtown Detroit.
• Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst Farmstead: Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
• Tollgate Farm: 160 acre farmstead and educational center.
• Colonel Samuel White Homestead: Site includes a Michigan Historical Marker
• Novi Depot: Portion of the original railroad depot constructed in 1971 for the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railroad (currently CSC railroad)
• Historic Township Hall: Located adjacent to Jacob and Rebecca Fuerst Farmstead
The name Novi was taken from the township, which was organized in 1832 from Farmington Township. The name was offered by resident Dr. J.C. Emory, at the suggestion of his wife. Residents were reportedly looking for a shorter name than Farmington.
Several popular but historically inaccurate explanations have been given for the origin of the name Novi. One version is that it was named after the 5th tollgate (No. VI) on the Grand River toll road. However, the township was named in 1932 and the toll road was not constructed until the 1950’s. A similar claim is made about the township being stop number 6 on the railroad. However, the Holly, Wayne and Monroe (now CSX) railroad was not constructed through the township until 1870-1871, almost 40 years after it was named.
SOURCE: Novi Chamber of Commerce website